Tuesday, July 14, 2009

P.S.

While I haven't exactly been doing anything, I've been pretty introspective. As I lay in bed last night, I developed a mental image of what I must have looked like a year ago, arriving at Incheon Airport, all alone, hauling my three bags through the airport. Sweating, tired, and well, all alone.

I can't believe I was never scared. It never even occurred to me to be concerned or anxious about what was coming up--and with good reason, really. The last year has been amazing.

So I'm not sure why I feel so anxious about returning home. I think about the same person--except not the same person--hauling the same luggage (albeit lighter) through the same pathways, and going home without knowing the future scares me. Am I coming back? Who am I going to meet? Whose lives am I going to change? Who is going to change mine?

I think the ambivalence is interesting.

2 comments:

pam said...

Kati - You have no reason to be anxious. You are coming home a different person - one who has learned how to make lemonade. You can do the same thing in the US or anywhere you land. You will meet lots of people, you will affect lives, you will bloom wherever you are planted. You are bringing back with you all kinds of survival skills. So, don't worry, just be excited for what lessons lie ahead of you. They never end, so we need to look forward to them, not be afraid of them. You rock Girl!

Pam

Unknown said...

You've had an impact on more lives than you will ever know and that is just what this world needs.

Can't wait for you to get back!