Wednesday, July 23, 2008

"We are calling to reschedule..."

Well, Friday was my last day as an employee in the USA. It was kind of a strange day, spending last moments of commradery with the people I had grown to know and care for the last year. Poor Linda gave me a dirty look each time she saw me all day. 3:30 came along, and with Ken's final words of advice ("Don't get any overtime") ringing in my ears, I clocked out and shut down my boat anchor for the last time.

Yes I was a chicken, and yes I snuck out without saying good bye to anyone. It was more for self preservation than anything--I didn't think any more tears needed to be shed at work.



It is now day 2 of "I should be at work, but I woke up at 8:30 so it's all good." Final preparations are being made, such as, "Do I want the frog luggage tags, or the monkeys?" (Monkeys won.) Molly (baby sister) came home to see me one last time, and I have already received the agonizing call from my grandmother, fearful that she'll never see her (former) favorite granddaughter. Apparently moving to another continent gets you booted from the favorite slot.

The "need to sell my car NOW" adventure continues! So far, I have 3 people somewhat interested in my car (one of them is my mom! woot!). Before mom would purchase my car, though, I would need to sell hers. I have someone coming to look at/drive her car this afternoon, actually, so this will end positively, regardless of the lingering anxiety that has my stomach still in knots. Say it with me, "God will get me through this."

A weird note of irony. Yesterday morning, the Holy Spirit woke me up to spend some time with God. I turned open my devotional (Blackaby's Experiencing God), and July 20th's verse was Genesis 12:1,
The LORD had said to Abram, "Leave your country, your people and your father's household and go to the land I will show you." How ... cool is that? I am so looking forward to my adventure.

Because we grow through trial, I was presented with a trial yesterday. My visa interview was supposed to be at 12:15. Around 11:45, I went to make sure my phone was on and etc. As I checked my voice mail, my favorite consulate worker informed me that my interview has been postponed. Postponed? As it was, I was going to get my passport Thursday in order to leave Saturday. For an unknown reason (I feared asking why), my interview is postponed until today (Tuesday!!) until 4:15!!! THEIR TIME!!! I pointed out how I state in my visa application that my plane leaves Saturday morning and that I need my passport back ASAP, and I got a grudging admission that that was cutting things close. (YOU THINK?!) But in an effort to keep in mind, "God's got my back," I'm just trusting that all will work out. I won't be stranded at LAX.

It turns out the first night in Korea will be spent with another teacher as my apartment will be in the process of being vacated. At first I was like, augh, it's already starting, but it dawned on me that it might be nice to spend the night with someone who is accustomed to not knowing the language. :)

Eventful, yes. But just a few steps closer to embarking on epic.

Kate

No comments: