Tuesday, February 24, 2009

A reminder for the hard times

Developing my recent epiphany further, I have come to the realization that life is never going to be perfect, and very rarely will we have things on our terms. "My life would be great if this one student would just behave." "I wouldn't have any complaints if it wasn't for this darn zit on my nose." "If I could just lose 10 pounds, I'd be happy."

Why is our happiness conditional?

There are always going to be blemishes on our day. Maybe we wake up and find that the black outfit we were going to wear was recently visited by a white cat monster, and the day progresses with ten or twenty slightly "off" things that distract us from doing our best and enjoying it.

So, moping about a boy, sighing because the movie I wanted to see started at too late of a time to see it, or feeling rejected because of being left out of an invitation are no longer options. In the face of real disappointment, these are so laughable I feel ashamed. And this isn't to say that those things don't serve a purpose; if I hadn't been bored, I wouldn't have found this wonderful adventure. Change is good, as long as it's change for me.

No comments: