Sunday, October 26, 2008

The Best Cab Ride Ever

So tonight I was helping celebrate someone's birthday, and I consumed more food and sugar than is ever required, and to some people I'm sure it would have been a lethal dose. Fortunately, I have super American blood that is accustomed to processing all sorts of toxins. :)

I still felt sick, though, so I called it an early night and grabbed a cab. I get in and ask, "Chilgok DongA Bickwijam?" and he didn't look at me like I was retarded, so I stayed and got comfy. He tried to talk to me and I was like, "I'm sorry. I speak English"--because it's true! But we're driving along and this dill hole BMW pulls up alongside of us and revs his engine and just acts like a tool. He kept screaming ahead of us to get to lights first, but still had to wait. By the 5th time he weaved in and out of traffic just to be sitting next to us, I gestured and said, "Ipabo!" (Foolish man.) This started the taxi driver on a full-blown tirade in the fastest Korean I've ever heard! It was totally awesome. I heard some words I knew, so I nodded and made the Korean version of "uh-huh" (it's something like "unh") until he started gesturing something reminiscent of Mussolini. I'm pretty sure I agreed that we should either make tighter laws for getting your license or to wiping out North Korea. I'm not really sure which.

So we turn off from BMW guy and drive along in quiet when this car randomly starts to back into our lane while we're speeding by at 110 km/h (68 mph)!! Fortunately my driver was seasoned and he swerved out of the way (and avoided the minivan next to us). I gasped, even though I was watching, and he tried to explain what was going on in an apologetic tone. That was kind of endearing, so I smiled and sat back in my seat--never even once considering putting on my seat belt, sorry mom--when we ran into our third loony! This guy was sitting on his bicycle in the middle of the 5th lane (out of 7)--the one we were driving in. Fortunately he was wearing white clothing, otherwise I'm not sure we would have seen him in time. This started the last tirade of the night, to which I agreed on every point.

I love this country.

3 comments:

Julie Southern (Studio Sherwood) said...

You should be sorry. Buckie up.

Miss Chris said...

I am totally with your mom on this one! ALWAYS WEAR YOUR SEAT BELT FOOLISH GIRL!

Unknown said...

So it appears that guys in BMW's are the same no matter which country you live in.